Results

Great McDonald!

I and my sister were doing some shopping that day. I was the one who suggested that we eat from McDonalds [TOTAL mall, Madiwala, Bangalore]. We ordered some burgers and two drinks and were eating them soon, when I noticed the cup they gave us. Please have a look.

Yeah, ‘2004 Athens Olympics Official Sponsor’. I was puzzled to see that. I double checked to see whether I am mistaken. But it is clearly year 2007 now and what’s printed in the cup was year 2004. [I have that cup with me when I am writing this]
I was thoughtful for some time and I decided to take some photos. There is only one ‘most appropriate’ explanation which occurred to me. They made so many cups for that Olympics that they were well over the requirement or people didn't choose McDonalds as their 'food partner'. Anyway, many of these cups [and who know what else] were left over. Later they simply ‘dumped’ them to third world countries like India. I seriously doubt whether they will use these cups in US. They may or may not face some legal issues. Besides, why do they want to do that when there is a better alternative? You can use the up-to-date items in countries like US and simply dump these things to countries like India, where no matter what they give, people will eat it happily.
I am not blaming anyone here. Those cups may not be of any harm to any one. Even after 3-4years after, nothing will happen to cups. It is not a food item. And McDonalds have every right to do whatever they want to do with what they produce. But, when they do that, if they think no one will care about it and nothing is going to change, it is wrong. Atleast I can write some articles like this or someone else like me will do it [I hope].
Before writing this, I googled to check whether something turns up related to this and here is what I got.
http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/pretrial/factsheet.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004--olympic--pin-McDonald's-sponsor_W0QQitemZ130181418444QQcmdZViewItem
In the second link, a similar item is listed as souvenir. May be we can collect these cups and sell them to earn some extra money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. We have to fight the big dirty corporations. How to do it? Simply ignore KFC, McDonalds, Pepsi, CocaCola etc. They are the new imperialist forces who are trying to buy the whole world and make all of its people as slaves. The only solution BOYCOTT THESE COMPANIES WHICH DO NO GOOD TO US.

Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like flash memory is really beginning to take off. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing solid state harddrive prices in the near future. $5 32 GB Micro SD Cards for your Nintendo DS flash card... sounds good to me!

(Submitted using Fling for R4i Nintendo DS.)