Results

Movie Review: The Man from Earth

Usually I don’t write movie reviews. I write only if they influence me somehow. And that is precisely one of the reason I want to write about this movie. I am almost sure that most of you haven’t heard even the name of this movie. Even I didn’t. I don’t know why I wanted to watch the movie, may be the imdb rating, its 8.2. And recently I got lucky to get a copy of this movie from one of my friends. Yesterday I thought about watching the movie.

Its not a flashy movie, I mean with all the new photographic equipments and all. It looks just like a documentary, so at first I was confused whether I want to continue with it. Then again, it’s had a duration of only 1hr 30mins (approx:). So I decided to go on with it. Also, its not an action or romance or horror or anything like that. But it’s a drama/thriller I would say.

The whole movie is just some people talking about an idea (if I may call it so). I am not sure how to explain it fully. You have to watch the movie. Let me give you an example, just think about the movie matrix (one of my all time favorites), without all the fancy stuff, just the part where Morpheus explaining to Neo what the matrix is, that it is just a computer generated world to keep the humans as slaves. And think about the whole movie as a discussion about that concept. And basically that’s it. A concept which you are not familiar, or another angle or a completely original idea (original to me) with which you are viewing the things as you know it. It will be amazing how everything you know, or you think you knew will change when we apply a completely new theory to it. When you come to know things which you thought are basis of the existence of something, turn out to be something else, what would you feel?

I believe I have said enough to ignite the curiosity in you. Now you just watch it.

[Spoilers Ahead]

Are you very sure that you want to read what the movie is about? I think you should watch it. Taking a decision on whether to write about the movie here was difficult for me and later I decided to give a warning and write about it.

Alright, here it is, just think, that if there was a man, a Cro-Magnon (pre-historic human being) who had the gift of not aging, who is living at the present. Not a re-incarnation. Just he was born in the prehistoric ages, he aged till may be some 30 years, and then never aged and he lived through all the history, watching all the milestones in the history. Some one who actually lived at the times of Egyptian Pharaohs, the time of Moses, who happened to meet Buddha, and who is actually a very prominent figure in the history (that is suspense, you have to watch the movie to know who it is), who holds some 15-20 graduate degrees in almost all the sciences and arts, who had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted to do. Imagine how much knowledge he had over all these ages. Imagine all the dangers he had to survive to be in the present. Amazing concept isn’t it?

Once again, whatever I have written here is my own opinion. You can agree or disagree with it.

6 comments:

Ajay said...

I saw the rating and stopped the reading the post then and there. Got hold of the movie and saw it yesterday.

A truly nice concept. It went very well, especially the drama created. Only thing I felt was an overkill was the suspense you referred to. The story had enough in it to be ground-breaking even without introducing something as probabilistically impossible as the suspense unraveled.
One thing I don't agree with in your assessment is the amount of knowledge the protagonist has gathered over the years. As is stated by the him, he is not superhuman. He has studied a lot, he has forgotten a lot and even if he has not forgotten, he is not up to date on every subject.

Bottom line... nice movie!

Dragonfly said...

:) Truly nice movie.. :) Yeah, he is just a human. But he has all the time in the world to study or do whatever he wanted to.

Wandering Gaijin said...

I just finished watching the movie. I had stopped halfway between the post and watched the movie :)
good movie .. very interesting too.

I too agree with Ajay that the suspense was a bit too much.

I liked the movie. Thnx for the post.

Hey.. one more thing, you write really well. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi..
Good movie..
See my blog on the movie..
http://netgiz.net/blog/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:yes-the-god-exists&catid=4:thoughts&Itemid=9

Shameer
www.netgiz.net/blog

Eric D. Wilkinson said...

I saw your blog and just wanted to drop by and express my gratitude for not only writing about my film, but liking it too! We have had an amazing response to it and people seem to like the fact that it's the antithesis of a typical Hollywood movie. The film celebrates everything that classic science fiction is all about.

FYI... The movie is available on DVD in the USA and if you like outside the the United States, it just came out on a Region 2 DVD on 7/7/08. Please. Tell your friends about the film. Rent It! Buy it! Support independent movies.

If you haven't already, please head over to:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Post your comments, rate the film. check out the message board! That'll help!

Thanks again.

Eric D. Wilkinson
Producer
Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth

www.manfromearth.com
www.myspace.com/manfromearth

Dragonfly said...

I am not sure whether Eric D. Wilkinson is the actual producer or this is just a fake comment. But if this is true, I am really happy that you commented here :)