Results

CUSTOMER CARE: REALLY CARING ABOUT CUSTOMERS?

For a long time, I was thinking about coming back to blogosphere. For last couple of weeks, everyday, I include blogging as part of my daily agenda, and I never get to do it. I don’t know what kept me from coming back. Sometimes I was busy with some work, sometimes I didn’t feel like writing at all, some times, I didn’t find any subject to write about. Today morning also I decided I will write something for sure, but I was totally clueless about what until some thing happened.

I have a BSNL broadband connection (I hope most of you people know about my fights to be a BSNL broadband consumer) and it’s a 256Kbps plan. I have been thinking about changing to a 512Kbps plan. For that I needed information on how it has to be done. After a lot of thinking about whether to call the BSNL customer care, I decided to go for it. I dialed the number and here is what happened.

I was amazed that some one picked up in the first ring itself. But the worse was about to come.

Cust Care: Hello, My name is Bob, how may I assist you?
Me: Hi, My name is John Smith. I am a BSNL Broadband customer. My phone number is xxxxxx.
Cust Care: Where are you calling from?
Me: Bangalore.
Cust Care: Please hold on for a second sir. Click!

I don’t understand what they have to check when I said I am from Bangalore. Some music started playing in the background. It went on for around 3 minutes. I got angry and cut the call and tried again. After 3 tries, I got connected again.

Cust Care: Good Morning, my name is Alice. Sir your complaint is registered. Can you repeat the complaint number?
Me: What complaint? I have never registered a complaint.
Cust Care: Oh! You have not registered? Then please tell me the complaint sir, I will register it for you.
Me: I don’t have a complaint, I just need some information. I am an existing BSNL broadband customer.
Cust Care: Ok. Please tell me your name sir.
Me: John Smith
Cust Care: Where are you calling from?
Me: Bangalore, please don’t cut.
Cust Care: What is the model of your modem sir?
Me: See Miss, I don’t have a complaint; I need some information about tariffs.
Cust Care: Tell me sir, what do you want to know?
Me: My current plan is 256Kbps. I want to change it to 512Kbps plan. How can I do it?
Cust Care: You can give a written request at your exchange that you want to change it.
Me: Do I have to give it in the exchange or the customer service centre? ‘Cos that’s where I gave my initial application.
Cust Care: You can give it there also sir.
Me: How long will it take?
Cust Care: It will take one month sir, now that this month is over, if you give request, it will be changed by next month.
Me: But today is 31st only?
Cust Care: Ah, yes sir. So if you give it today, you’ll get it tomorrow, or else the next month.
Me: uh!?
Cust Care: No sir, now that the updations have been over and it may take another month.
Me: uh! Are you sure?
Cust Care: Thank you for calling us sir, have a nice day.
Me: Waaaaaaaaait! I am not finished.
Cust Care: Click!

And that’s it. The call was over. I wonder whether they are caring for the customer or some one else? I don’t know how I can explain my feeling at that time. I felt like being slapped on my face again and again besides being paying them every month and coping up with the lame replies from them when ever I call them for any support or the outages. I wonder what can be done about it. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha hah haa... In my experience I have 99.9% of BSNL customer care executive (Sorry its so rubbish to call them as executives!) are stupid idoits who doesn't have any manners and doesn't care about what others issues are.

And all of them simply hangs up the phone, even before finishing the call or even before properly started answering... It's so irritating that I have to shout to them to make my complaints registered or call and scold the people from the General Manager levels, for the worst service offered!.... who simply tried to disconnect the phone before answering properly, but luckily I got the same person online for his bad luck!.

All I understood from their behavior is those rubbish customer care people have only the intention to achieve their daily call attended targets. So they shuts up the connection to receive the next call quickly.

Even just now I am struggling to connect to my office VPN conference call line, it got disconnected more than 15 times in less than 10 min.... :(

What to do... I know that there is no scope of complaining... so just to live with that, helplessly!

Its the same feeling BSNL also gives to common man - all prefers to avoid going towards govt/public companies and gets the similar feeling when one approaches towards the drainages of Bangalore!

Nandalal said...

The very common deranging attitude of customer care center is evident by the kind of speech they make. Nonetheless, it is far so becoming a problem faced by common man whatsoever the customer center is. I have had pain calling those damned airtel broadband customer care at moments for getting a service. No wonder why bsnl is like this... :P

.v e e n u s. said...

Good one with content and presentation way. It might be better if you can give a msg for improvement. :)

To add with your points, we can say jokes. right?
One of my friend, Sajil, once told me that there is no customer care problems for TVS or BSNL. I was simply stunned. He added "because there is no customer care.!".!

Anyway one point i would like add.. the backbone and infrastructure of BSNL is better than many of the private providers. I also came across many issues related to customer care. but they will not call back. but it will be fixed within two days. but as you said, the response was pathetic. why donl;t you post a mail to them. see that is our organization. na?

Dragonfly said...

:)In one of my colleagues opinion,
"If you have a working BSNL connection, you are in broadband heaven. But if your BSNL broadband stops working, you are in broadband hell"

Ashwin said...

I wonder when we are going to escape from the kbps(They call it Broadband ???) era.

Waiting for 3G to hit India(They say the launch is a few months away).Then you can experience a truly untethered wireless broadband..

Adil said...

I only hope the person whom you called will read this

Dragonfly said...

3G? What true broadband man? You are lucky here if you atleast have connectivity. There are bigger problems for our leaders to focus on, basic things, like poverty and hunger.. :)
And Adil,
I seriously hope so, but she will never realize who this is. Cos they behave like this to a lot of ppl everyday!