Results

Vanilla Sky

It started with a video. One of my friends sends me the link to Tom Cruise’s 25th anniversary celebration site. There they have put a video featuring all his films. It is a really good video. I had already watched most of the movies in that video. Since I like him very much as an actor, I wanted to watch the rest of the movies too. I collected of them from my friends.

During my movie marathon, around 2 weeks back, I watched the movie Vanilla Sky. I had seen only the rating of the movie and didn’t know the theme of it. Naturally, I expected a good movie, but I was getting bored while the movie was progressing. By the time I was through with the movie, I found myself wanting to watch the end of the movie again and again. The soundtracks are also amazing.

The movie name is taken from a painting called Vanilla Sky by Claude Monet which is also shown in the movie. After I finished the movie, I searched for the painting in the net. Just like the movie, at first look, I didn’t find the painting that interesting. But after spending some time studying it, I found out that I am in love with the painting. May be it’s the theme of the movie or the mood of the name ‘Vanilla Sky’ that accelerated my feeling. I don’t know the technical terms used by artists, but the dreamy look of the painting, the serene buildings near the bank of the river and the vanilla colored sky, they all really caught me.


That’s when I decided to try that painting myself. I didn’t want to duplicate it just like that. I wanted to add some more color to it. And the result is here.


Do not compare both of the paintings as they cannot be compared. There are many faults like the sky is not really vanilla in color, the ratio of the sky and the land is not correct, the reflection of the trees is pathetic, the level of details of the buildings in my painting is almost zero and so on. But after finishing the painting, I felt satisfied, may be the satisfaction of creation, something like what they call “feels like God”. Even if its in paper or canvas, I could create or destroy worlds and life like that way I want to and that thought made me proud. I am not the one to judge this painting, but I think its not that bad of a beginner (my first acrylic in canvas). Now its all left to you readers, awaiting your comments.

More

9 comments:

Wandering Gaijin said...

Amazing painting!
Hats off man!!

Ajay said...

Two things:
1. You have loadsa time
2. More importantly, you have loadsa talent. :-)

I am generally shamelessly weak in anything "arty", but in my limited knowledge, Nice work!!

BTW, I can't help but think that Jayanth came to your blog, saw "a" comment and then commented on picasa, or am I giving him too much credit ?? :-)

Dragonfly said...

I don't have that much time, still I have time.. :)
and its not like that about Jayanth, I actually posted this pic in Picassa 1 week b4 this blog post. Its then that he commented there.

And thanks to all you people. :)

Nandalal said...

nice try Manu :)

Phoenix said...

The painting is too good.. The pleasure on completion of a painting is just marvellous.. Enjoy! Waiting to see more of your paintings.. Have bookmarked your blog!

Dragonfly said...

thank you manju, ajay, nandalal and phoenix! Thank you for all your comments. They are my inspiration. For those who don't know, most of my paintings are here http://picasaweb.google.com/manuignatius

[ dhondhooni ] said...

i am not the least bit gifted with anything artistic. but i know when i see something good i guess. and my eyes liked what it saw. i am not comparing your painting with the original one. but each of them stands tall in it's own way. i like your painting and the i like the way it is differentiated from the original one as well. trust me, you should find more time and show us more of this good stuff.

spookydragonfly said...

You should be proud of your creation..you have talent! I began painting this year, and I agree...what a feeling to bring life to a blank canvas! Keep creating, you've done well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, it is great