Results

Valentine’s Day in Singapore

This time it’s a Saturday and in the even me and my friends planned a small outing since its really pathetic to spent a valentine’s day, idle at home. The place is called, Marina Barrage, which is a dam in Singapore built across the Marina Channel between the reclaimed lands of Marina East and Marina South. Since we all stayed at different places, we decided to get together at the Marina Bay MRT (Mass Rapid Transit which is the domestic Train service in Singapore) by 5:15 pm.

I got in to the MRT by around 4:30pm. What more can I say, love was in the air. Everywhere you looked, you could see happy couples chatting or hugging or kissing. Most of them had bouquets or gifts or heart shaped symbols with them. I noticed a young couple in particular. They entered from the next station after I boarded the MRT. They were young and really vibrant. They were so happy that soon after the moment they entered the train, they became the focus of most of our passenger. The girl was slender and thin, resembled an angel from fairy tales and anyone who looked at her could easily say that she was in some other world. She firmly held the guys hand as it was her life source. I could read the pride in the guys face, like the king of the world. The atmosphere was so full of love. I felt happy for them. I don’t know any details of anyone in that train, but the way I felt after spending some time in that atmosphere was really different.

Suddenly I thought about a news link my cousin sent me today morning. The news was related to a group opposing Valentine’s day celebrations in India. I discussed it with my friends when I met them and I really felt sad/sorry for the group. In other words, in India, Valentine's Day is not the day to celebrate your love, but its the day to stop people from being happy for their love and conducting protests related to it. The way I see it, a person can have his/her own views and believes and practice them (as long as it doesn’t interfere with other people’s believes) and he/she can advertise about their views. And they can advice others to adopt your views. But the moment when it reaches the point when a person forces others to follow some believes, that’s the end of democracy or freedom. Valentine’s is the day when you can celebrate your love. But what if that right is forcefully denied? Also, I feel, the more you try to keep things wrapped up, the more others want to have it.

Anyway, by the time I met my friends, I left behind all these thoughts and worries and we all spend some quality time in Marina Barrage. You can have an amazing view of Singapore’s skyline and since it was a Saturday and a special day, so many people were there and the place was really lively. I am attaching some photos here.

Marina Barrage

A view from the top of Marina Barrage

Happy moments...

Singapore Gaint Flyer

ps: The views I have expressed here are my personal views only.

More Links
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200902141411.htm
http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/14/stories/2009021455541200.htm
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Girl-power-Show-Ram-Sene-whos-the-boss/423115/
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ram-sene-warns-against-celebrating-valentines-day/84398-3.html
http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/27/stories/2009012759890100.htm

3 comments:

Milu Ignatius said...

That is a really beautiful blog. According to me, Love is the most wonderful of all feelings in this world. And its another great feeling to Realize and Appreciate Loving Hearts.

.v e e n u s. said...

Hi Manu,
About Bangalore news, me too agree with you. I believe privacy is everybody's right. Any person/group which intervene into others privacy should be avoided. Culture is what people made by their contribution, this might be a culture change. if somebody feels that this is a cultural change, they should try to change the culture without forcing or peeping into others privacy. anyway it is difficult believe that the Val activities causes a public nuisance. Anyway being a Hindu, I believe Hindusism is believing in accepting good cultures to our society. Thats why I believe it is nothing related to Hinduism. Anyway as you said, i can only express this as my personal view.

Adil said...

As for the hooliganism, this is what you get when you elect a right-wing political party to power. They have done it in Gujarat. Why wouldn't they try to replicate here? We deserve what we elect!!