Results

Movie Review: Transformers 2: Revenge towards the Audience

No, the title of this post (movie name) is not a typo, I mean it. It was revenge from Michael Bay, at least from my point of view. I would consider the film in the romantic comedy genre than action genre . I will give a max of 3.5-4 out of 10 for the move since the only thing I liked in the movie are the action sequences.
When the first movie (Transformers I) was announced back in 2007, I was thrilled since I used to be a fan of the transformers cartoon series. When I saw it in the silver screen, it felt great. All the cartoon characters came to life through the movie. And it was a great experience and the movie was above my expectations.
From what I have written so far, you might guess what my reaction was when they announced the sequel (Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen). From the day I read about it, I was waiting for the movie release date. And above all, most of the reviews seemed good and Wikipedia said this, “Revenge of the Fallen achieved the highest Wednesday opening gross in history, bringing in $62 million in North America alone and close to $100 million worldwide; this is also the second-highest opening day gross of all time, behind only The Dark Knight's $67.8 million.” (I know the crew created the wiki page, still) One of my friends told me that this is the first movie to become house full in all theatres at the same time in Singapore.
I couldn’t wait to watch the movie and I tried last weekend and I was not able to get the ticket. Finally I or we (some of my unfortunate friends who came for the movie upon my persuasion) made it to the show yesterday. We got only the second row seats from the front. Still I was thrilled to watch the movie.
Before even getting through halfway, my friends started looking at their watches, and wondering when this is going to end. I am a fan of transformers and even I felt that the time is not passing. I think Mr. Bay tried to make this movie everything for everyone. There was comedy and romance (I think so) and action. The comedy was ok, but the romance was pathetic, even worse than a 3rd rate Hindi movie (my dear Hindi film fans, please forgive me, I couldn’t get a more decent term to compare). I noticed one thing in particular, the heroine spend most of her time running in the screen in short tops - one of the oldest tricks in the book, just like putting a heroine in rain. But I have to admit that she is hot. The emotional scenes in the middle of a battle were suicidal. After some time even the remote possibility of an emotional scene made me sad thinking that I could have done something better with this time. and the movie turned out to be quite lengthy, 2 hrs and 30 mins of ________ (you fill in the blanks after you watch the movie)
I am not adding many spoilers, but here are some facts for you to think about before going for the movie,
1. More than half an hour of the movie is spend showing how the heroine and hero gets to a rendezvous point
2. In my opinion, never bring parents in to the middle of a military/robot fight, and have long scenes of emotions in between a fast paced action sequence
3. Don’t make too many robo-comedians
And so on..
All in all, the movie was much below my expectations. After the movie, my friends have told me to kiss goodbye to their share of the tickets which I bought for them.
Lesson learnt: No matter how great a director is or the reviews are, don’t risk buying someone else’s ticket for a movie you want to watch.
p.s. Guess what, Transformers 3 is coming, its listed in imdb. I wonder what they have in mind for that one.

1 comment:

buy compact flash said...

My advice is to switch off your brainpower, get in touch with your inner juvenile self and go with the flow for this feast for the senses, orchestrated by the undoubted maestro of the genre Michael Bay.