Results

A Complete Browser : Flock

I've always been a fan of Internet Explorer. I recently [about 6months back] started to use Mozilla Firefox. I cannot state an exact reason why I switched to Firefox. Some pages were not properly working in IE, so I thought I will try Firefox, and thats about it. Even after I switched to Firefox, there are some times when I preferred IE itself. Even with all those cool Firefox addons, I never felt I won't survive without Firefox.

Two weeks before I read about a new browser - Flock : The Social Browser [thats what the splash screen says]. The author mentioned both cons and pros, but in the end, he stated that, now its difficult for him to live without the cool features of Flock. Thats when I thought I will also give it a try. What more to say, within days, I became a fan of Flock. I don't think I can describe all the cool features of Flock here. Let me first say, its really one of the coolest [web-related] thing I've ever seen. The main thing I liked about it is, its built using Firefox code itself. So we will inherit all the things we liked about Firefox [including security feautres] plus the Flock specific features. I had customized Firefox in my way, and I was doubtful whether the change is worth. But its more than worth, I would say.

For explaining the features, I am attaching some screenshots here, out of which one shows this blog in the Blog editor...




From the first impression, it looks so flashy, right? The effective browsing area is less though, when we use all the features, but there is option to turn them off.

In the first image you can see the original Firefox features like tabbed browsing, the same Find tool bar etc. The Foxy Tunes [lower right - music] and the PicLens [top right] are 2 addons worth mentioning here. They are originally for Firefox and I wanted to blog about them separately. The third screen is of the PicLens. It shows all the images on a web page. It is really cool for Flickr users, google image searches etc. Foxy Tunes lets you control your music player from browser.

Now to the Flock specific features. You can stay connected to almost all the 'famous' social networking sites, photo sharing site, mail accounts etc. You can see the accounts bar, where I have logged in to my gmail, yahoo, flickr, youtube, blogger, picasa and del.is.ious accounts. Then, there is a media bar on the top of the browser. In the first screen, I have chosen flickr stream based on interestingness. You can select the stream based on ratings, key words etc and it supports you tube, photo bucket etc too. There is an integrated Blog editor and Photo Uploader.

In the button bar, there are buttons to display RSS feeds, Favorites, People, Web Mail accounts, Blog Editor, Photo Uploader, Web Clipboard etc on the left panel. In the second screen you can see the integrated Blog editor, friends list on the left panel, the Fast Dial - A Firefox addon [you can call it - visual book marks] etc

Even if I wrote lot of good things, there is still space for improvement. There is no support for Orkut, which is the social networking site I prefer. There is no support of Picasa stream in the Media Bar. The integrated blog editor is almost pathetic. You cannot format the text alignment [can see in this blog - no alignment and also the buttons for alignment are missing]. Then, adding an image to the blog, its difficult. I had to use the blogger editor to add the screenshots in this blog.

So thats the cons and pros which I think are worth mentioning [which I use frequently]. Over all I give this web product 9/10 score. Now its all up to you to test it. Good Luck!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

erich said...

Nicely done. I especially like the screen shots. What did you use to do them?

-erich13
EricHerberholz.GooglePages.com

Dragonfly said...

I took some print screens, and used MS Paint for the comments, and finally used Photoshop 7 to save for web. :) Thanks

Evan Hamilton said...

Thanks for the great Flock writeup, it's much appreciated! Let me touch on your suggestions very briefly:

Orkut: I will log your vote for this service.

Picasa: Has been integrated in 1.1, because of feedback like yours!

Blog alignment: These buttons do exist, but for some reason are hidden. We'll be surfacing them in a future version. For now, you can get them back by right-clicking (ctrl-clicking on mac) the buttons area and choosing "Customize". Then just drag them onto the editor.

Image embedding: What issue did you find with this? You can just drag'n'drop photos into the editor to embed them, or you can use the "add photo" button.

Blog editor in general: Check out the BlogPlus extension for some really awesome improvements to the blog editor. You can grab it here: https://extensions.flock.com/node/11538

Thanks again for spreading the word! Flock'n'roll!

Evan Hamilton
Flock Community Ambassador

evan at flock dot com

Dragonfly said...

Thanks Evan for looking in to my Blog. And thankyou for the comments. I have added the alignment buttons. About the image adding to blog editor, I didnt know that you can drag and drop. But when you click the 'insert image' button, you'll get a text box where you can add a URL. I think its better if you include the upload image button on that form also. And the extension, I have installed it and its good. Once again thankyou for helping me out and Congrats for such a great browser. Hope to see more improvements in this browser. I think Flock lack some good themes, I have visited the themes pages and saw it empty. :) Hope some good themes will appear there soon.

Wandering Gaijin said...

Was pretty informative.
Thnx manu.
Keep writing more...

Deepesh Panicker said...

Nice article. I'm a great fan of Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla + improved features would be obviously good.