Results

I Say No to Videos on Flickr

I am a huge fan of flickr [the photo sharing site] and photography is a part of my life. I like to keep a vivid memory of everything that happens around me and that’s how my craze for photography began I think and it dated back to my college days. But at that time, I only had a conventional camera, which uses films. You have to buy the films, take the photos and develop it which is a costly process. There was no place for errors. So my interests stayed only in moments with my friends and relatives. Even then, I have around 12-15 albums with all the memories of my college days.

Then came the digital revolution, everything was digitized. (ofcourse digital cameras existed long back also, but I couldn’t afford it) Then I saved for a digital camera and I searched for it for long time and acquired my Canon Digital IXUS 800IS, the first camera of Canon in the IXUS series with IS feature in it. Its been almost 2 years since I had it, and what more to say, I have taken more than 15000 photos in it. Now you know what I am talking about. I am looking forward for the day I will acquire an SLR.

I got the freedom to do all the experiments I want to do with a photography, I began taking pictures of everything of interest to me. I always loved the details of our nature. The beauty of leaves, the mighty clouds, the colourful sunsets, the intensity of flowers, everything was small wonders to me. And thus I got involved in photography and what do people say about happiness, it will grow when you share. I wanted to share my experience and satisfaction with others and that’s when I heard about flickr. First I thought flickr as a bit complicated, but slowly I saw the potential flickr offered. The flickr community! Also the flexibility of flickr, the things you can do with your photographs. They were not just photos anymore; I felt more than that, much more. You could share it with millions of people, you can place your photos in the world map, you can write comments, you can classify and categorize, and many more things. I became and admirer of flickr very fast. The quality with which they provide us with their services, it was superb.

But now, I have some disagreement with what they are doing now. They have added the video sharing feature in flickr. An ordinary person might wonder what I am complaining about. I have to be happy with it, ‘cos I have more features. But ask a true ‘flickerian’, you’ll know. There are groups which say, ‘We say NO to videos on flickr’ and ‘No videos on flickr’ and many administrators of groups are banning users from adding videos to their group. I feel I also have to do something about it.

Here it is… My protest to videos on flickr!

They are changing the true vision of flickr (the way I see it), by adding videos. May be people say I am afraid of change. But for sure Yahoo could have started another service like flickr video or yahoo video. But the chances of something like that to gain momentum in a short while, [competing with YouTube] are very small as compared to adding the feature to already existing, widely established, flickr. I can give you an example. What will you feel if the favorite flavor of icecream, is modified for better results by changing or adding another ingredient to it? [I know it’s a terrible example, but that’s all I could come up with when I tried to convert my feelings to words] I hope something will be done about it.

9 comments:

anup said...

Nice efforts!!!!!
Keep going........
Plz do visit on my blog & show your presence over there by leaving a comment on posts.If you want,You can also provide a link to my blog from your blog.

my blog:- http://anup-life.blogspot.com/
Thanx!

Icarus said...

I don't mind videos on Flickr, although I don't think I will be using it much, if at all. What really annoys me is the new Flickr Map. Earlier, the display in both Organizr as well as the Map page were the same, with the map showing the most recent 200 photos. But the new one shows only the number of photos that actually fit in the horizontal scroll bar; that is, the number of photos displayed on the map is dependent on the size of your window/resolution of your monitor. For a maximised window on my 17" monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024, this comes to 24, which is an order of magnitude lesser! Another thing the new Map does not have is the old 'Link to this map' (or some such) feature, which provided a hyperlink to the Map at the current location and zoom level. In spite of people's protests, Flickr has not restored the old Map. So you can forget about protesting against Flickr Videos. :-)

Sometimes I think Flickr should have been bought by Google rather than Yahoo! Anyway there still seems to be hope as there is a potential Google-Yahoo! tie-up.

Dragonfly said...

Its business and there is profit and loss in business, no emotions man. and in future they will keep on changing whatever they feel like and users have to cope up with it. The same protest was there when yahoo acquired flickr i think. And i dont think a tie up will do any more good.. :)

Icarus said...

All I'm saying is I never had any complaints about Google making a product worse. :-)

Ajay said...

DragonFly:I think once you go public (as flickr did by snacking in yah00's $$), you have to keep growing your business presence into lesser comfort areas. Your analogy of an ice-cream is touching, but lets see the other perspective. You are a loyal customer of the ice-cream parlour and you are unlikely to move your business elsewhere. While there are "many" new customers who will not come to the ice-cream shop if they don't see some modifications in flavour, what would the ice-cream parlour do ?

Icarus:If g00gle and yah00 tie up and the micro$oft and yah00 deal also comes through, won't that be a fun threesome! :-)

Dragonfly said...

You said it right Ajay. Its just that i expressed my feelings here.. :(

Icarus said...

'Link to this map' is back! Yay! :-)

Dragonfly said...

Thats nice :)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog and very informative!