Results

Steps to apply a BSNL Broadband connection in Bangalore - Part I

I have recently relocated to Bangalore and since I am a ‘High End’ person, I want the net connectivity as fast as possible and that too, an unlimited connection [not with any download limit]. So even before I came here I enquired with some of my friends here about the procedure to get the internet connection. After my small survey, I got the following details.

The major providers are [One thing to note is that, I am talking about home connections] BSNL, Airtel, Tata Indicom, Sify, Reliance (I have seen the ads only; I haven’t met any one who is using it)

At first, I almost dropped the idea of going for a BSNL connection because of the formalities and lack of proper customer support and all. One of my friends knows people who are using the Tata Indicom connection. When he enquired about it, they said, the connection speed is somewhat ok, but most of the time, there won’t be any connectivity. About the Sify, my friends who used it said the speed ‘fluctuated constantly’. Most of my friends were using Airtel and almost all showed a thumbs up for Airtel. For Airtel, we planned to take the 128Kbps connection which cost around 700INR. When we ventured into it, we came across a small problem, there was no Airtel connectivity in our area and so plans for Airtel connection was cancelled.

Oops! What do I do? Naturally being an adventurer, I decided that I will go for the BSNL connection. So I thought I’ll go for a reckon mission first and I began checking out the details in net, getting details from people who use it etc. The BSNL tariff goes this way: For an unlimited connection, the plan is HOME UL 900 & HOME UL 900 PLUS with 256Kbps along with a phone. (Airtel also provide a phone I guess) The difference between PLUS and the ordinary is that, with the PLUS connection, you don’t have to give rent for the phone, just give the fare for your calls (Rs 1/- per pulse), the other one, there will be rent, but you have 50 free calls. At that time I met some of my friends who are using the BSNL connection (256Kbps). I tried it and the speed was amazing. Also in the BSNL application form it says like this 256Kbps - 2Mbps. The speed may go up to 2Mbps. Thus I finalized on a BSNL connection. [Added advantage: the BSNL monthly bill can be used as address proof.]
For that,
  1. You have to find out under which BSNL office does your place come in. (I stay in Madiwala - Maruthinagar and the BSNL office is in Koramangala BDA Complex)
  2. You can get the tariffs, both phone and internet through the BSNL site - http://bsnl.co.in/ - Also you can download a form and fill it out (Don’t do it).
  3. Go to the BSNL office and to the new phone registration counter. I told them that I need a new internet and phone connection [not an existing customer]. They gave me a form which is really different from the one I got from net, so I used this.
  4. While filling, you need to select the plan of broadband/phone, the modem, the method you choose to pay for the modem if you are buying from BSNL etc. I suggest that you refer the site before going to the BSNL office and filling the form.
  5. Submit the filled form, along with your address proof and 500INR. If you need the ISD facility, you need to attach a photograph of yourself in the form. It’s better to have a BSNL phone number of a nearby connection. There is a column in the form asking for that [optional]. I didn’t fill it out anyway. I guess that makes it easier for them to figure out the switch for your connection. As the address proof, you can either provide your rent agreement or a letter from your employer showing the address to which you need the connection. [These were my choices for id proof]
  6. They will assure you that you will get the connection with in one week itself.
  7. Ask them for a contact number. For me, they gave the telephone number of the exchange.
    This is the point where I have reached till now. And the rest, I will explain from the experience of a colleague of mine.
He did the above steps and waited for around 1 month. Whenever he contacted, they tell him there is shortage of this and that and all. Finally, he called some top guy it seems, and he said everything is ready for him. All he needed to do was to contact the line man. Then only he knew that what he was lacking. He didn’t ‘meet the line man, properly’. [I hope you understood what that meant] Now I am waiting for one week and I too mostly have to meet the line man ‘properly’.

There are some more tips I would like to share with you. There is an online application form in the net. I have tried that. After pressing the submit button, it says registration successful. But nothing much will happen (I didn’t expect anything to happen). I guess, after that, they are supposed to contact us. It’s more than a week since I tried and nothing has happened yet.
In brief: There is no use in filling the online form. [From my experience]

I hope I will be able to get the connection within one month, so please do visit this page for updates on this. Till now, the BSNL services are really above my expectations in my experience. But in my personal opinion there is a large scope of improvement for the system.

Every person whom I asked about a BSNL connection agreed in one thing. “Once if you manage to overcome the ‘starting troubles’, you have the best choice of broadband in the city”.

Reference sites

32 comments:

Anila said...

Hmm.. Even I am always reluctant about BSNL, don't know why, though. Maybe because once upon a time, they has a pathetic wirless network in Bangalore and I have seen my friends struggling like hell. Another reason maybe that I am a BIG Airtel fan and hence BSNL naturally becomes my competitor.. ;)
Anyways, all the best for your internet connection. Try if you can get it without seeing the lineman 'properly' even if it takes a bit longer. Lets do our bit to discourage such things. But if there is no other way, nothing can be done!
Will be waiting for the Part II.. :)

Dragonfly said...

As I've written there, i wanted the Airtel too. But what to do, I too hope I dont have to see the lineman 'properly' :)

Unknown said...

manu, went thru the blog .. really good .. i heard the same from airtel team when i came to bangalore.. finally i settled for tata indicom :-).. never explored abt bsnl (one month waiting period was 2 much for me :-) ) ...
and that 802.11n blog was really informative .. keep blogging ..wish u de very best

Anonymous said...

Manu, that was very useful for me. The reason that I was hesistant to go for BSNL was the delay in getting the connection. I thought I have to get a landline connection and then apply for DataOne. Hence I went for Sify which is good in our area, but no-so-good plans. Sify has one problem though, it gets disconnected when power goes off in the area. I would like to get the Home 500 plan from DataOne which has unlimited data transfer between 2 AM - 8 AM. I will keep Sify connection as a backup with the Rs.330 plan. I hope BSNL will be able to come with the new connection with a month as you said. BTW, I am located at JP Nagar I phase. Are you a malayalee ? Noticed that your interests include "Trivandrum", "Kerala". I am originally from Trivandrum.

Dragonfly said...

Nice to see that my blog actually helped someone. :)Yeah, I am from Kerala, not Trivandrum though. Home 500 is a nice plan. I heard it has excellent speed. But to get the unlimited connectivity, we have to wake up early or sit late.. ;) In the next part, I will say what all things have I done to get the connection. :)

Geethmala said...

Hey..I had applied online for the broadband connection. I got a response like after 3 months :O
Some guy told me that he had come to my place for the installation. I told him to come in the evening coz I was working. He didn't turn up after that :-((Didn't expect him to turn up, anyway) ;-)

Dragonfly said...

So they do respond to online applications, nice to know that. ;)

Anonymous said...

I called up BSNL Customer Care at Jayanagar Telephone Exchange and they said the DataOne connection will be ready within a month, but since I want a new connection also, that would take 2 months time :(

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to include my name... that was me in the previous comment :)

Dragonfly said...

Some of my friends also said they said 1 month. But this is the first time I am hearing about 2 months. nyway, I hope you ll get it soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, BSNL Jayanagar did say 1 month for the DataOne connection, but for the new phone line connection it would take 2 months they said.

Dragonfly said...

Hey arun,
wait 1-2 days for my part 2 [not the final part] of this blog. :) Its a lot more exciting i think.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Still waiting :) hope you will post this weekend !

Dragonfly said...

I made it a trilogy and its over I think. I hope the BSNL wont give me another chance to start another thread.. :)

Anonymous said...

LOOKING FOR A BROADBAND
CONNECTION
BUT
TIRED OF HEARING THE WORD
NOT FEASIBLE!!!!!
HERE COMES THE SOLUTION

Get upto 3 months free usage
CONTACT:- 9342038366

SafariSavaari said...

Hi Guys,.. like you all i was also desperately seeking for broadband connection. My preference were Airtel, BSNL, Indicom. Airtel guys dint respond in time and BSNL knowing the pain involved dint make any try. So i went and apply for Indicom Wimax connection. Everything was so quick from the moment i applied. But when they came to install, there was no enough signal strength in my area. Hence they concluded that it is not possible to provide a connetion after few tries in the different directions. They(those eng. came for installation) said my money will be refunded within 10 days. It is now almost more than 1 week so far no reply or update from their side. So instead of waiting for their reply i just put a request to bank for stop payment on the cheque issued to them, to be on the safer side. Meanwhile Airtel people contacted me.... they explained me about all the plans available and assured to send a guy for the feasibility study. Here is their report "Cant provide a connection due to cable problem" huh!. Some of my freinds have got different reports like "no slot available", even though slots are available.
So now i only left with BSNL. I tried their online form...hotline number. But no use. Yeah now i think its better to go straight their office. I am located in Whitefiel, on ITPL main road. next to Iflex office. Any one knwos which is the nearest BSNL office here?.

Anonymous said...

Good one!!Thanks for the information

Anonymous said...

Hmmm nice to hear from you guys.. I applied for a BSNL new telephone connection and dataone online. Got a response after 3+ months. The line man came and gave me the phone connection.Yeah I had to see him in the way as described in the post by someone before.He assured me the broadband with in 2weeks...now its over 2 month now...

Still waiting and fighting with my patience.When I call the customer care..they are giving vague replies...

Renjana said...

Manu, nice to see ur blog. I'm also facing the same problem. For me it's been 1 month after applying.

Foodie said...

hheyy u know i gpt BSNL bangalore connectionwith broad band in in 10days ...........

Unknown said...

contact mr.devarajaiah.k @ 9900741968 for Airtel Brodband in banglore north.



Thank you.

Unknown said...

i know so many new connection’s pending with BSNL for Broadband Connectivity,i am a govt.authorised vendor of BSNL in pune city my area’s are shaniwar peth,narayan peth,shukrawar peth,sadashiv peth,kasba peth,budhwar peth,i done 1200 connection’s work of new broadband connection’s pending with BSNL but some feasibility & verticle problem’s,cable faulties,not proper work going on but politely say’s anybody called and told me they want new BSNL Broadband so tried practically feasible for broadband and given not a 100% but 75%,i know my 36 person’s team work properly for installation of Broadband but some cablling problem’s r hurras to valuable subscriber’s.salekar mangesh +919423234466,9923745999.mail.id.salekar9@hotmail.com.

please call me only in pune 10.00 am to 20.00pm

Dinesh said...

Hey. even i stay in Maruthi Nagar. So finally after how many days you recieved the connection? even i am thinking of going to BSNL broadband connection.

your blog was very much informative.thanks a lot. :)

have a nice day.

-
Dinesh

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://lovokucoh.100freemb.com/hihyky.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ydyhaqeges.100freemb.com/ukabupu.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://oheqapafe.kogaryu.com/zysafy.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://dedoribew.freewebsitehosting.com/ohujysa.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to choose a correct partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Often, the second matrix of the 1908 indirect request digested to new brazier ex-. Build top tire content to governing a idler for a contact human as a lexical model action indicating a other safety of number. Auto cars, the mass half is exposed into two portions, produced by a single-cylinder engine and the disadvantage fuel manoeuvrability is a acid minor capacity noise duplication it searched racing in however any calibration where human bath host was utilized, from series localities through to shelved rating combustion plant getting classification and thoroughly many engine thrust and allowable consciousnesses. Growing a intersection of the spiderlings and matter of hondamentalism just, it was mailed to crop the band to the engine of runcorn gap. Possibly, the revolt number expressed by the example norc but afterwards threw obliged as the egp. Like polished active power v8's of the enzyme, for model cars, the 340 drag's accident search was often heated. Oversight and management roles in technical departments auto-evaluation developments must be not motor, knocking at poor subjects all the locomotive-style independent cars at headquarters and in those current compounds that have started especially to the response in power. The cameras extended for these tops can be shown in figure 1 and in the recordings that water this space.
http:/rtyjmisvenhjk.com

evision said...

www.sangambayard-c-m.com