Results

How to unscrew a Pulsar 180 CC Petrol Tank [2006 Model with Digital Meter]

It is recently that I had relocated to the city of Bangalore. The first thing almost everyone whom I asked said about Bangalore was its traffic. Everyone was so tired because of the traffic blocks it seems. Some of my friends say it takes around 1-2hrs even to cover 1-2kms in the peak traffic hours. The public transportation is almost pathetic and the auto-rikshaw drivers think they are above the law. [That is a subject for another blog]
I own a Pulsar 180, 2006 model, with the digital meter. I was planning to bring my bike when I relocated. However, first I wanted to experience the traffic conditions of Bangalore for myself. With in one week, I understood a two wheeler is a necessity here. After 1 month of successful survival in Bangalore without a 2-wheeler, I decided to bring my ‘machine’ to the garden city. The question was how? I had 3 choices.
  • Train [Too many formalities + railway station far away from my both my home town and place of stay in Bangalore]
  • Ride all the way [which I preferred, but my parents don’t]
  • Volvo Bus [Easy, but have to remove the tank]
Considering all the cons and pros, I decided to go for the option of Volvo. When I enquired about this, I came to know that Pulsar is ‘taller’ than usual bikes. So I may have to unscrew the petrol tank. I went straight to a Bajaj service centre and asked for help. They told me its no big deal and showed me how to. It really is very easy. I will demonstrate it here.
  1. Unlock the left side panel, only then you can take out the seat. For that, insert the key in the keyhole, unlock it, and pull it from the left side first and slide it to the left as shown. [The left side of the side panel is inserted in to a hole in the tank]
  2. There you can see a small loop. Pull it gently and pull up the seat simultaneously.
  3. Unlock and take out the right side panel also, just like you did with the left one because it is also attached to the tank as shown before.
  4. Now we have to switch of the petrol valve from tank to the engine and pull the tube out from the pipe. Make sure petrol is not leaking. Note: You can choose whether to empty the tank or not. But it is better to empty it if you are transporting it. Always Safety first.
  5. The tank is fitted to the chassis with a screw and a bolt. This is the only part were you need any tool. Use a no: 12 [I am not sure whether its 12, the guy at the service centre told me so] spanner to unscrew it.
  6. Slowly pull the tank to the back side [the side of the seat as shown].
  7. Do not pull it out completely. There are 2 more connection under the tank. Raise the tank so that you can see the connections. One is an air hole [As told by the mechanic], which is connected directly to the tank. The other is an electrical connection which I guess is used for the fuel indicator. Retrace the wire from the tank and you can see a black connection. Simply pull it out.
  8. That’s it! You have successfully dismantled a Pulsar 180CC petrol tank and now it is ready for transportation.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nee enthonnade.. motor mechanic o?? Pulsar nte petrol tank oorunnathu okke blog il ezhuthi vekkan?

Akhil

Zombie said...

Boy ! what was that? ..a perfect instruction manual for how to screw up ur bike..lol!

Dragonfly said...

I do experiment with almost everything, no matter mechanical or electronics that comes in my way.. :)

Geethmala said...

You were right.. Although I like bikes.. This is too much info.. hehe :-)

ഹൈവേമാന്‍ said...

Hey dude,nice blog.I was looking for something like this. I am planning to take my bike to my hometown . This will surely help me a lot . Thanks

Adil said...

This is one of the best blogs written

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

Anonymous said...

this is very useful, as pulsur has this inbuilt problem of water leakage in fuel tank,everytime you visit meachniac and pay.its better to do it at on your own.