Results

Bangalore: The City of thieves?

First of all, I am not accusing everyone in Bangalore. I have many good friends who are originally from here. But this is the first impression I have got about Bangalore - Garden city as well as the city of thieves. The day when I joined my new company, I heard about the burglary of a mobile of one of my colleague. The incident goes like this. My colleague forgot to take her mobile to a meeting and left it on her office desk. When she was back, the mobile was long gone. I appreciate her for fighting with all her efforts and finally she got her mobile back after a series of incidents. I am not going in to the details of it [as I am not allowed to do so].
While discussing this incident with another of my colleague, he told me about what happened to him. A woman came to his apartment and introduced that she will clean the house. He went inside for a second opinion from another guy who is staying there. By the time he got back, she was gone along with his wallet. He somehow traced her to a street and even before he could talk to her, the locals rammed the place and he literally had to flee. So the next whole week he was really busy, calling all the credit/debit card companies to block them.
Okay, those are two incidents of theft which happened to my colleagues. These were the hot news of discussion among us for the first week I landed here. Then I heard many similar incidents for which I cannot submit any proof.
Even if you cannot call theft in the direct sense, what else can you call what the auto-rikshaw drivers are doing here? How can you logically resolve what has happened to you when you have to pay Rs 20/- and Rs 60/- for the same route and same distance to two different auto-riksaw drivers? They all think they are above the law. At the same time, the public transportation system here is really pathetic. Even to travel a distance of 1-2kms, it may take from half to one hour at peak times of traffic.
Leave the auto-rikshaw drivers. I once went to a furniture mart to buy a couple of chairs. The person there immediately showed me and my friend a printed chart of the prices of some brands and models of chairs. After some time bargaining he went inside the shop and produced the catalogue showing the detailed pictures of the chairs. First we thought what he saying was correct. Later only we inspected the catalogue with the actual chairs models there and we really got surprised to see that that price in that printed sheet was well below what he told us. Around Re100-200/- margin was there.
Or, take the case of BSNL. I gave application for a BSNL broadband connection on September 9th, 2007. They assured me that I will get it with in one week. Now its almost 2 months and I am still waiting. You can read the detailed story about it in my other blog. I even had to start a trilogy to explain the whole stuff.
Is there any means to book people like these? What do I have to do? File a complaint in the police station? I don’t think that will help in anyway. I can narrate a number of incidents like these. I think its time we need to act. But how, I don’t know.

15 comments:

Minu said...

Very true about Bangalore... I always get irritated by these auto drivers.. Why people are like this?You didn't get the internet connection yet? You said you will get this monday?

Icarus said...

The only act that will save you is to get the hell out of this shithole! I haven't travelled much around the country, but of the few places that I've been to, Chennai ranks first as the worst place with Bangalore coming a close second.

Veena said...

I don't agree to this, particularly the heading... the things that u have listed here happens in our own gods own country.. Even auto drivers out there are similar... I don't deny the facts that u have put in.. But they are like two sides of a coin.. As the city progress there will definitely be a considerable increase in the anti social elements...

Dragonfly said...

got the modem and all. still not activated.. :)

Dragonfly said...

Icarus:
There is no traffic problems in Chennai as compared to Bangalore, or even Cochin.
And Veena,
God's ownn country, leave it. Take the case of Bombay. Auto drivers there are very descent. And I forgot to mention one more thing here, about the attitude towards girls also is not that good here I think. As compared to Bombay [From my sister]
And there are many many examples that when a city expands, the anti social elements decrease are there.. not in India nyway... I think thats the very fact we have to change

Geethmala said...

hmm.. people at my workplace lost stuff like mobiles and money too. The thief walked right into the cubes and picked it up. Of course they were seated near the corridors.

Guess, only way to avoid these kinda thefts is to be on guard and lock ur things up all the time :-)

Ajay said...

I know all of you, thanks to Ani. So, please indulge me a little. :-)

Since this is about Bangalore, I will vehemently defend it. But I have seen this city literally disintegrate over the last decade or so.

Every city has its problems. If we want total peaceful and tranquil life, villages are our best resort. Chennai has less traffic... sure, but the autos there don't charge 1 and a half during odd hours, but double throughout the day to go anywhere! Mumbai is good to girls... sure, but have you been stuck in traffic in Mumbai? Its many times worse than Bangalore. What about the bomb blasts in Hyderabad or the Pratibha Murthy kinda case in Pune. I can go on and on... but I think you get the drift.

In the examples cited in your blog, is there no blame on your friends? Shouldn't they have been more careful? I have left my bluetooth headset at my office on many occasions and folks (like ani) who have been to my office can vouch for the security and the lack thereof. But I have luckily found it exactly where I left it the next day. So, I attribute the cited examples as "self invited" oddities.

And icarus... Bangalore... Shithole?? you have an amazing ability to get on my nerve! But then, I remember your blog entry on you gym'ing and cricket and I crack up enough to muster a smiley. :-)

Anila said...

I saw the entry the very first day.. And I wanted to write so much that I postponed it. Now I see that you already have got lots of comments. But still, this is what I want to say..
Every place has its own problems. And what you are talking about here is common problems of cities. Do you know well about the auto drivers in Bombay/Pune? I have heard that the rule there is that when the meter shows an amt, the actual fare will be just 60% of it. Whereas in Bangalore, only when your place is far off like somewhere in the outer ring road, they charge extra. Anywhere else they come promptly and charge the proper meter amount. All my 2 and haly years in Bangalore, I have used autos so much and this is what I have felt.
And the mobile theft you say is something that can happen at any place. Its our duty to keep our things safe.
Bangalore does have lots of problems because because of the big economic gap that is created by the newly rich, spendthrift IT people. But I think its the only place where people from all over India want to be. Not Mumbai.. Not Delhi.. Not Chennai.. Not Kolkata. Its Bangalore - the place thats fair to everyone.. Thats friendly to everyone. I love Bangalore! :)

Icarus said...

I don't want to fan flaming on someone else's blog, but I should say that Ajay, you have an amazing ability to get me on your nerves. It's not as if I commented on your blog! :-)

Before I sign off for good, let me state one more thing: Bangalore, Chennai, Bombay, Pune - can anyone tell what's common to all these places? They are all in India!

Just think about it! :-)

Dragonfly said...

first of all, i am very glad that this subject caught many ppl's attention. and with this blog, all i wanted was to 'publish' my first impression about Bangalore. I was here before 2 years for around 2-3 months and i liked Bangalore very much at that time. But now i think its time that i change my views. i agree that some fault is with my friends also. And there are many things about Bangalore that i like. but overall, i don't like Bangalore that much or as my expectations. thats the fact. and i cannot agree with Ani about the auto fares. within one month itself, i got fed up with the Bglore autos and i havent met anyone who says the auto here are 'ok', let alone good. [Its not my opinion alone my sis was at bombay for around 1 year, so i take the comparison for granted]
then, i dont think bglore is the first choice for most of the ppl in india. and i completely agree with icarus, the common thing about bglroe, pune, bombay, delhi and all.. they are all in india.. try comparing with some other cities.. like shanghai.
and Ajay, even before, the Prathibha kind of cases happened in bglore.. and what about the ISRO bomb blasts here which happened some time before?
hope things will get better here..

Minu said...

http://memuarai.blogspot.com/2007/11/do-we-really-lovehate-bangalore.html

Anonymous said...

where do u live mr. right,
could u give me an example which is the safest place to live...!!

Anonymous said...

to keep it simple;
ur focus should have been on people rather than the place....!! its wise to talk about the people who are careless or people who have stolen the stuff ..rather than pointing to one pertcular city...and more over we all wanted every city to be a cosmpolitan....!!!

Anonymous said...

What a whiner! There are problems everywhere and you have the option of leaving Bangalore back to your city. So why whine? Every good thing has some bad side effects. Sounds like a clumsy attempt by a north indian to defame a city where he has come to work.

wady said...

hi, what ur saying about bangalore is 100% correct. here there is no low and order. police are big cheat. i lost my laptop, when i went to fill a complaint police asked me 2000 rs to register a case.